Posted by: Lee | 2009-03-05

cd21 progesterone results &  ovulation

Please help me understand what my progesterone results mean. I had a test and was told that the results were normal and I should expect a period. However, my cycle is 30-36 days and I have been using an OPK. I had stopped having a cycle for aImost a year. I started using metformin &  my periods returned. I have now had a period every month for almost a year now. Not exactly 28 day cycle, but I still have a period. Now I got positive results with the OPK only from day 21 to 21. I did the cd21 progesterone test before the positive OPK result. What do i make of this. The nurse who gave me the result said everything looks normal &  I should expect a period in the next 8 days or so. I am now confused with the OPKs. I have used them over the past 3 mths, especially when my cervical mucus is clearer and slippery &  have had positive results. Is ther any possibility that I could be ovulating, but not on day 14, but later?

Dear Lee

It appears you have a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome as you have had a problem with regular menstruation and in addition was given Metformin. Patients with this condition have an endogenously high LH level. This high LH level can cause falsely positive results on the home ovulation test kits. Your blood tests on cycle day 21, progesterone if elevated is a more accurate assessment if ovulation is taking place. In your particular case it would be more advisable for you to monitor follicular growth by ultrasound as to ascertain when ovulation is taking place.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo