Question
Posted by: anxious | 2009/03/31

CD

CD

I woke up Wed last week with an awful headache and very sore stomach. I didnt eat anything all day (I didnt want anything). Then I started vomiting Wed night and got severe diahorrea Thurs morn. That was it - I went to my gp who said I had picked up a bad stomach bug. He gave me a pethidine, stemetil &  buscopan injs and put me onto Ciprobay 500mg straight away and did a crp and fbc and said to phone him at 4.00. I phoned him on his cell at 13:15 because I couldnt stop being sick - he said take a stemetil and phone me at 14:30 when he was back in his rooms. The lab phoned and said my crp was very high and my white blood count was elevated - crp - 298 white - 15 000. Why was my crp so much higher than my blood count - I mean if you are going to have a bad infection surely both are going to be very high? The white blood count was high but not as much as the crp! He said crp levels are supposed to be under 5!

I had another blood tests yest and the crp was down to 46 and white blood count normal! Am on 2nd course of Ciprobay - he says he wants to wipe this inf out and says one can' t undetreat it!

Feeling much better.

Dear Anxious
It levels of increased CRP and WCC depend on what kind of bacteria or virus caused the infection and you can't compare CRP with WCC - it is like comparing apples with pears :-)