Question
Posted by: Kim | 2010/05/20

CBT vs hypnotherapy

I suffer from an extreme fear of flying and read about CBT. I have also been told about hypnotherapy. What is the difference betwen CBT and hypnotherapy in treating a fear of flying and which is more suitable.

HYpnotherapy, firstly, unless it is provided by a fully trained and registered psychiatrist or psychologist is often quackery where the individual has no officially reconized qualifications, and is utterly unable to diagnose ot deal with any other mental health aspects of a person's problems. CBT is shown to be highly effective in fear of flying, and a mild form of self-hypnosis may be used as part of it, to help you learn to relax fully while un-learning your fear of flying. Hypnosis can be useful as PART of a therapy plan, but is very rarely advisable as the only method of treatment for anything.
As I usually say - if you need carpentry done, don't use someone who calls himself a carpenter but has only one tool in his bag - a hammer, and to him everything looks like a nail, and he hammers it.

1