Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2008/06/07

CBT THERAPY

Hi cybershrink found psycologist and went for assessment. How many sessions does it repuire to learn the cbt ways? I am going to try to ask him to lower his rate R400 is a lot. In ur opinion could i buy a book which the shrink had willingness_ cbt and teach it myself? Could traumatic events rape etc cause post traumatic stress even years after the events? At the moment i just struggle with body image_ intimacy_anxiety..

Hard to guess how many sessions anyone wouldneed, as so much depends on the nature of the problems and on your keen-ness to do the necessary homework. But always less than alternative methods, and enormously less than the endless analytical twittering. I gather R 400 isn't unusual these days, but by all means ask if it could be lowered. What should happen in a CBT framework is that after initial assessment, there should be an agreement between you and therapist as to the primary target problems, and as to what would constitute progress towards reaching the goals, so much easier to monitor progress, and to recognize when you can complete some of the work yourself. And a good self-help book could inded help progress, as you could learn the basics yourself, and work on those aspects needing more finesse, with the therapist.
There is evidence that post-trauma symptoms and problems can last for decades if untreated, and that though a person still recalls what happened, from the start, the actual disorder and major symptoms may only show themselves years afterwards. Some men who experienced war trauma, for instance, became diagnosably PTSD years, even decades later.