Question
Posted by: Nervous | 2010-09-02

CBT Therapist

I have booked myself in to see a CBT therapist. What can I expect? I usually don''t like talking to strangers. I am a very shy person, who does not like being around with people I do not know, hence I am single. I am also starting to loose interest in my career, maybe I need a new one, but what? I was suggested to book an appointment, is that correct? I am wondering if I should maybe just cancel as I am getting very nervous.

Don't cancel ! Any competent therapist should be good at putting you at ease and starting conversation. So you'll soon find that there is none of the sort of problem you seem to be anticipating. The CBT therapist will work with you to explore what are the problem areas or areas o discomfort in your life, how you would like to change them, and to help you to find ways of doing so. Most people find the process fascinating and agreeable.
Of course one does make an appointment, to ensure that there is a block of time set aside purely for you. And early on in the first sesion, mention any misgivings you may have, so these can be dealt with and you can relax from then on

2

Posted by: Maria | 2010-09-02

Nervous is entirely normal, don''t cancel your appointment. The therapist is trained to help you relax. He/she will ask you why you came for an appointment. Get clear in your mind what you want to tell her/him. You can even write this down or type and print it, either for your own use or to give to the therapist to read. If you are anything like me your brain will go blank if you feel very stressed! The first time I went to see a psychologist I was shaking so hard that I passed on the offer of coffee or tea - I didn''t think I would be able to drink it without spilling. But going to that first appointment was one of the best things I''ve ever done for myself. I hope it works out well for you too. Good luck!

Reply to Maria