Question
Posted by: Bongi | 2010/04/29

CBT is working for me

Guys and girls,

CBT is changing my life. I am halfway now. The first half was identifying my bad behaviours and now we have started correcting them. To me it does not even feel like therapy –  it feels like a training lesson entitled “ Discovering myself” . I am learning so much about things I was not even aware that I am doing. The thing about life is that pain is less the result of someone or something hurting you but more a result of how you behave when hurt. The thing about CBT is that
1. you must be prepared to work work work.
2. you must be prepared to acknowledge your bad behaviours.
3. you must take you victim hat off. It’ s not a Pity Party, but at the same time it will not make you feel bad about yourself –  it will help you feel in control rather than helpless.
4. you must do it for you –  nobody else. Don’ t try to change your behaviours with the hope that someone will love you better. Other people will reap the benefits, but you must be doing it for yourself.
And my therapist is fantastic. He encourages me and he is very impressed with my work.
OK, I am also on Zoloft and that worked very well as well just to take the edge off so that I can concentrate on CBT better. When I stop Zoloft then I will apply CBT and I believe that CBT is a permanent solution (for me at least).

Thank you so very much for your valuable feedback, Bongi. Sounds like an excellent description of why I recommend CBT. Keep up the excellent work - and thanks for helping to inspire others !

1