Question
Posted by: Paul | 2010-01-21

CBT in treating forms of psychosis

Hi CS, i am considering CBT for anxiety and wondered if it helps in any way with post psychosis, if a person has had an episode/breakdown and is on medication can CBT help with symptoms and change thinking etc?

I haven't yet discovered any substantial limits to where CBT can be helpful. In Anxiety, there's loads of good evidence that it has lasting benefits. But just this moth, for instance, I read another research article showing that it can be helpful in schizophrenia and similar psychoses - not in dealing with the primary disorder itself which does still need medication, but in dealing with many of the remaining symptoms and problems, as well or better than other methods of handling them. So discuss this with your therapist, and it should indeed be helpful for you.

1