Question
Posted by: C | 2009-07-23

CBT

Hi CS, hope you are still well and warm!

How does one go about conducting CBT on oneself? I live in a very rural place, not really possible to see ANY therapist, let alone one specialising in CBT! It has helped in the past (i' ve had it for about 5 sessions a long while ago).

would it work to try this on myself or is another person absolutely necessary?

Well ? tolerably. Warm ? You're joking, of course ? As for self-CBT, one's best bet would be to get some good self-help books specifically incorporating CBT methods --- there's a good series published by Constable-Robinson in the UK, for instance, which have Cognitive-Behavour(al) in the titles, and which cover a range of problems. Check prices omn Exclusivebooks.com, kalahari.net and take2.co.za, and check the best prices, as these can vary surprisingly between stores. As you have used and responded to this method in the past, you should be better able than most, to be successful. Another person isn't strictly necessary. There has been some research on computer or web-based therapies in very specific disorders on the CBT model, reporting suces, but not readily available here yet. We continue to look into that