Posted by: Skye | 2009-03-31

My question at the moment is. What it is about CBT that you think will be able to help someone with dissociation. 3 Shrinks all diagnosed me with dissociation, so they can' t all be wrong. I have done a bit of research on CBT and it seems that it' s supposed to be great for depression and anxiety and deals with changing mindset and behaviour to manage feelings. But if one doesn' t have any feelings, how would it help a person feel? And is the type of therapy really as important as having a good therapist that' s commited to helping you and changing his techniques to suit your problem? I' m actually quite comfortable with the therapist I have now and he works for me but he is not a CBT therapist. Do you really think there are no other therapies that can help, even if it takes a little longer?

DId I say they were all wrong ? Though Dissociation is a description, more than a diagnosis. If you look even deeper, to my surprize, studies are showing CBT as useful in a larger range of conditions, even as helpful for some symptoms in schizophrenia. Obviously the relaionship with a caring therapist is very important -- and if you're comfortable with him now --- then you DO have at least some feelings, and that;s good.
In people with a special talent for dissociation, some forms of therapy definitely do make them worse, mainly analytic forms, and those which concentrate on the dissociation and on archeology, rather than on finding and building on the individuals areas of strength
And why do I still keep thinking of that fairy tale ( was it HC ANderson or the Brothers Grimm ) of the Princess who could not shudder ?