Question
Posted by: TEMPER TANTRUMS | 2008/07/28

CBT

Good day CS - lately I am prone to very bad temper outbursts and of course when it happens at work I feel embarrased afterwards as I am 51 and the eldest in office so I need to set an example.

Have had quite a few stressors in personal life and at work so not certain if that is the cause. I am also very rude to my partner.
Can' t say it' s PMS as I have not had period for almost a year.

DO you think CBT will help me be more calm - I feel as though I am out of control.

Are there any meds I could take. Will apprecaite your advice.

When problems like this arise later in life rather than as simply manifesting behaviour patterns that have been present for decades, one needs to wonder WHY NOW ? The onset of anxiety, stress, Depression, or some such combination, is often responsible. CBT certainly ought to be able to help, to identify stressors and triggers of these flashpoints, and to help you learn better ways of handling such situations. As for meds, this would depend on any diagnosis that might be made after a proper assessment, such as treatment of Depression if this is identified as present. I'd avoid the GPs favourite, the Valium / Xanor, Benzo family, as, like alcohol, they can in fact make one more impulsive and worsen one's temper tantrums.

1
Posted by: Susie | 2008/07/28

I am no doc, but it sounds like menopause to me. I am anti hormone treatment, but I know it helped my friend who was also having this temper problem at 50+

Reply to Susie