Question
Posted by: Sue | 2011/04/14

Cayenne Pepper Diet

Dear Doc, I started drinking cayenne papper in boiling water 2 times a day as heard that it is a could remedy for all ailments including loosing weight. I just want to know if you do have any comment regarding this. If it is a good thing to drink how may cups a day can I drink.

Dear Sue
Cayenne pepper does contain plant compounds that can stimulate the body's metabolism, as well as plenty of vit C. However, the doses that can feasibly be ingested are probably too low to promote pronounced weightloss. Excessive intake of cayenne pepper can irritate the lining of the stomach, so you need to be careful not to overdo your intake, to prevent gastritis. I would think that 2 cups a day is already on the high side. The use of cayenne pepper on its own without reducing your energy intake and increasing your energy output, will probably not assist much with weightloss.

1

Dear Sue