Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2011/08/13

Cayenne, Maple Syrup and Lemon

Hi Doc,
I need to lose 20kg as I now weigh 90kg and my height is 1.77. I just do not know how! I crave sugar and cinnabuns, etc etc....constantly...even though I eat them everyday. I work and have 2 kids, so it is too difficult to go to gym and I am way too self concious for that anyway. I have read your answers on a few topics and I do know that I need to exercise even if it is just skipping rope. I have an orbitrek at home, so I just need to get on it, i know. Just never feel like it. How do one get motivated? It feels as if I do not have it in me to lose the 20kg. I have tried fad diets, diet pills, even those that are expensive do not seem to keep my appetite under control...they only work for the first few days. It''s as if my body gets used to them all. I look at other people and they manage to lose their weight by sticking out with dieting for months on end, but I have never been able to diet that long. When ever I need to go to a bday party I cannot control myself and eat what I want. I wish there were motivational pills on the market! Where do I start??? I have heard of Cayenne, Maple Syrup and Lemon mixture which could help one to lose weight. Is this true?

Dear Desperate
I would like to apologise for only answering your question today, but I was away and had asked for the DietDoc Message Board to be switched off in my absence, something that evidently was not done.
Your present BMI = 28,8 which is in the overweight category, so it would be good if you could lose at least 15 kg to get back to a BMI of 24 which is in the normal range. Because you have tried so many different diets and slimming pills to no avail and are constantly hungry, I would like to recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will help you with a low-fat, low-glycaemic index diet which should assist in stopping the cravings and prevent the hunger pangs that always derail your attempts at losing weight. If you have problems with motivation to stick to a diet and to start doing daily exercise for 30 min on that orbitrek, then it may help to buy motivational tapes from organisations like Innertalk or Motivators, so contact www.innertalk.com or www.motivators.co.za and buy CDs or DVDs which can help you stick to your diet and exercise. The Cayenne and Maple Syrup mixture which the film stars use, is combined with a semi-starvation diet and it is the diet that causes their weightloss, not the mixture.
Do see a dietitian and start doing exercise today if possible.

5
Posted by: sanet | 2011/08/16

im not a diabetic, but i have to use metforal 500mg and altroxin, i understand something is wrong within my blood or bloodtype, so i cannot loose weight, doesn''t matter how many diets or dietpills, i try, i''ve changed my eating habits and my husband lost 8kg an i none, so my doc did a bloodtest and found that my insulin was 19.5 and my thyroid isn''t working, im using meds now 7months and feel stupid for not understanding whats happening to my body...i was in a car accident and broke my arm in 2006, i had a bonecraft in 2007 and my arm only healed in 2009...steelplate and screws still inside....my doc says my insulin level could have been the reason why my arm took so long to grow back.....i need advice please

Reply to sanet
Posted by: sanet | 2011/08/16

Reply to sanet
Posted by: Lee | 2011/08/16

The drink you mention is similar to the ginger, honey and lemon drink I use. It does not make you lose wieght as such but can certainly help to curb cravings. I follow a healthy diet and sip this drink to keep me away from chocolate and chip cravings. You have to exercise and follwo a healthy eating plan.

Reply to Lee

Dear Desperate

Posted by: thaato | 2011/08/14

If you like you have a sweet tooth , like me , won''t last on the cayenne syrup , believe it or not you crave sugar because of what you eating , just cut down on the junk food , cold drinks stop drinking, swap them for ice tea , water when you reduce the sugar intake you when crave it anymore ,you will have more control. Think about the new body you want let that motivate you , your kids seeing you achieve that ,just use the obtrek during tv time its quiet so u can exercise n not think about it. You need a life style change not another wana be quick fix ,think about it you want your kids to know how to also eat healthy be incontrol

Reply to thaato