Posted by: jane | 2008-11-11

Cats who spray

I used to have a male (neutered) cat (he was put down a little while ago for other reasons) however he used to spray all the time. We took him to the vet, who tried anti-depressents, female hormones, and all sorts of other things. Nothing seemed to work. He would do it for attention, or if he was cross with us -ie we move him off the bed to make it in the morning, he would casually walk over to the curtain and spray against it. He knew he was being naughty, but didnt seem to care. I' m thinking of getting another cat, and I' ve always preferred males, but am very nervous of getting another one who sprays. Why do cats spray so much? What can be done? We did have another male cat, but the sprayer was the dominent male, and eventyally ended up chasing the other one away.

Dear Jane

If you neuter a male cat at six months old it is very unlikely for that male to spray.