Question
Posted by: Lee | 2011/02/02

Cats jumping on kitchen tops

How can I teach our cats not to jump on the kitchen work tops. Nothing helps and they keep doing it again, even just after a repremand. They are still young, 5 months and already know thats where we prepare and leave food, also licking the dirty dishes. This drives me crazy.

Hi Lee,

Unfortunately this is a problem we all have !! Cats are by nature curious and have an amazing sense of smell. Often a water spray/pistol can help - tap water mixed with a small amount of Citronella .

Every time you find the naughty kitten on the work surfaces spray him/her. Also try increasing the amount of toys that they have so it can reduce boredom.

7
Posted by: ANON | 2011/02/11

There''s nothing much you can , cats will do pretty much what ever they feel . I agree with Carol ...

Reply to ANON
Posted by: cat lover | 2011/02/03

hi there,

from kittens mine werent allowed into the kitchen. when they did and jumped on the counter or the sink, they immediately got reprimaded and pushed off. we never fed them human food or off our plates so it helped reinforce our space and theirs. we also hit them with a pathetic water gun a few times(the trick is not to let them see you with the gun coz then they know its the human, you need them to think its the counter and associate the counter with being wet).

we have moved house alot and now they are 18 months. Their food bowls at one stage were in the kitchen on a table but we made sure we never put food on that table (our space and theirs was redefined and they caught on very quick) they did try their luck once or twice and we would just shout at them and push them off. They''d almost always back chat but i would just ''stand my ground"  until they walked off or wentback to their table. Now my cats hardly jump on the kitchen counter, only to inspect if there is water in the sink or sit on the washing machine and " talk"  to me when i am busy. Their bowls are now in the lounge next to the kitchen.

We also have a baby on the way and the nursery is half of our bed room, so open to the cats, but my cats know that despite all the snuggly spots, they can''t lie on baby stuff. I instead made them their own snuggly spots near to the baby stuff and they know the difference. Also they were given the chance to inspect baby stuff so the curiosity has warn off.

Cats are extrememly clever creatures, but oh so manipulative, espeically when they figure out the soft targets in the house, so be strong even when you want to give into that cute look and meow

Reply to cat lover
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/02/03

Hi Lee,

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Carol | 2011/02/02

Thats it Cat Lady .. I gave up ages ago ... its easier to put things away , wash the dishes and disinfect counter tops !

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2011/02/02

Haha! Go with the flow. Welcome to the World of Cats. Didn''t you know, dogs have owners, cats have " staff."  Us!

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/02

Hey, that''s a very cool suggestion, Cat mom. Certainly beats having to lurk around with a water squirt bottle...

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cat mom | 2011/02/02

Mine are 3 years iold and will also still do it staright after repramdaning , or they will dart off the counter and out the kitchen when i walk in ( so they know) , i tried putting up one of the small gates ( like on stairs for kids) and they simply jump over it . What has worked is double sided tape where they jump up their pawas stick andt hey freak out

Reply to Cat mom