Posted by: Cats | 2010-05-25

Cats in pregnancy

I have two cats that i have had for 3 years , my hubby and i are planning our first child and a friend said i will have to get rid of my cats , is this true

See above.

Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-05-27

See above.

Posted by: Purple | 2010-05-25

No, you don''t need to get rid of your cat.

While pregnant, make sure you wear gloves when you clean out the litter box and wash your hands well afterwards (as you should anyway). The diseases you can get from cat droppings (toxoplasmosis) you can get from handling raw meat when you cook as well, so just make sure that you wash your hands well after that too.

Its'' not the huge danger that pregnancy magazines make out, just take normal hygiene precautions.

There are many old wives tales about cats and babies, but your cat is not going to try to suffocate your baby. if you don''t want her in the cot at all, put a screen door on babies door.
The cats in danger when your child is a toddler though, as toddlers grab cat fur, and cats then wallop the toddler with a paw and then the toddler doesn''t generally grab again for a few days till the cycle is repeated (over and over).

Reply to Purple