Question
Posted by: Natasha | 2009-03-17

Cats Fighting - Have got Feliway

Hello CV
Before I start, just want to say I have got 2 Feliway Diffusers in my 60 square metre house. I have been using the Feliway diffusers for years, and it is absolutely Fantastic.
My cats are " indoor"  cats. I have built a cattery, with climbing poles etc which is attached to my house for them to go outdoors.

Now for my problem. I have 8 cats, who vary in ages from 7 years to 8 months old. They have all been living in harmony up to recently. Gizmo and Widget ( Brothers - 3 years old ) have now suddenly started to beat up Nautie and Brat ( Sisters - 1.5 years old). Gizmo and Widget first started picking on Brat, but then she stood up for herself and gave them a slap, and that was that. Now they are ganging up on Nautie. Nautie does not really fight back, and as a result she cowers away, and wees herself when she sees either Gizmo or Widget. She also growls at them when they walk past her, which then starts more fights.
I have now started to take Nautie to my moms house while I am at work, and then take her home in the evenings. If I hear fights start while I am at home, I spray the guilty party (Gizmo or Widget) with water, which stops the fight immediately.

Any advice on how to restore the harmony ? And get Gizmo and Widget to relax !!!

Dear Natasha

To many cats in a small area. You can try nutricalm tabs.

2
Posted by: Natasha | 2009-03-18

Hi Jax
Yiy, I had them all spayed/neutered the second they turned 6 months old (my vet refuses to do the procedure before that).

Now that you mention it, my oldest cat Pepi, who is now 7 has become rather quiet and lazy, and she used to be rather dominent. So you are probably correct with the boys being in competition. Except that they now have my water squirt bottle included in their competition :-)
Hopefully they will get over it soon. But any ideas / advise would be great.
I am also researching the Nutricalm stuff.
Thanks all

Reply to Natasha
Posted by: jax | 2009-03-17

probably a silly question cos you sound like it would have been something you' d do asap.....but, are they all spayed/neutered?
That' s often a cause. The other possibility is that the 3year old boys are in a bit of a competition as to who is alpha male in the group, possibly because whoever has been alpha is now aging a bit. Part of it is asserting dominance over all the other cats, male or female, until there is a definite boss. Can be ugly for you to see someone getting smacked, especially when it' s a timid cat. Chill and Carol...any ideas??

Reply to jax