Question
Posted by: Gogga | 2008-12-16

cats and electric fences

Is it true that cats can feel the electricity in an electric fence and stay away from it?

My complex has just installed electric fence on top of the boundary wall and my cats are used to walking on the wall. I' m terrified that they' ll jump into the wires and get killed or seriously injured. Not sure if I trust the assurances given by the guy who installed it...

Doc, have you seen any fence casualties in your practice? If it does happen, what do I do for first aid?

Dear Gogga

I think most cats will surive a electric fence shock and learn from that one experience.

2
Posted by: Gogga | 2008-12-18

Thanks Doc and Shocked.
One of my cats once got caught in the electric gate - he was so laid-back he just sat there until the thing closed around his stomach and I don' t know how long it was until somebody saw him and opened the gate and ran to tell me. Luckily no lasting damage. The vet laughed when I took him in, said he' d never heard of such an accident before.
I " tested"  my hand in the gate afterwards and man, that hurt! It' s apparently hundreds of pounds of pressure, I don' t know how my kitty survived.

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: Shocked | 2008-12-17

HI Gogga,

I had the same worry at my complex, so I tested the fence myself. It shocked the living daylights out of me and it hurt like hell, but not enough to kill a cat. By boy came home one day with one ear all floppy, like a labrador' s ear. Apparently he had been shocked, but he never went close to the fence again and the ear eventually went back to normal.

Reply to Shocked