Question
Posted by: Fats | 2008/08/20

Cat' s toilet habits

1. I have a persian midget cat, his mate died and then he refused to use the kitty litter. He' s been doing this for a while now...he' s since moved from the house into the garage. What can I do about this?
2. He also refuses to be brushed...he does not like us to touch him. He is allergic to flea bites and has a scally skin. He refuses to eat Hills or any other vet food...he only wants to eat the normal wet food from the supermarket. Is this normal not wanting to be brushed normal? What can be done about his skin? We have been to vets that say he needs to change his diet...what can I do?
3. Recently he started shaking...what does this mean?
Please can you help me.
Thanks for your assistance.

Dear Fats

1. try using a closed litter box. Use a cardboard box and cut a door, put litter box inside. Plug in a Feliway diffuser where the cats spends most of his time or use the spray.
2. Treat him with frontline every 2 weeks till his skin is better and give him mirra-cote over his food daily.
3. No idea

If he poos in a spesific area you can also put small bowls of food scattered in this area. Cats will usually not poo on their food of close to it. If its not poo we are talking about he may have developed a bladder infection if he is weeing in strange places. Best to have him checked out.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/20

And stop caving in when he ' refuses'  to eat the right food! ' Spoiling'  him that way is damaging to his health!

Just do make sure his teeth are in order - if not, chewing chunks may be uncomfortable to him.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2008/08/20

he is not using the litter because a) he is stressed, b) he could have a bladder infection.

you need to deal with his flea problem as a matter of urgency , once the flea issue and his skin is better , then he will welcome brushing and become a happier kitty than what he is now,

I would confine him completly, with one of those diffuser thingies , give him ONLY what the vet recommened for him to eat , and deal with the fleas.

Once his skin is healed , and he is using his litter box and eating properly , then you can slowly start brushing again , using bribes.

His head could be shaking because of gunge in his ears or itchy skin once again from flea allergy.

Go back to the vet , get the right food , and whatever ointment is needed.

Reply to Carol