Question
Posted by: Louisa | 2009-09-11

Cat' s skin

Hi there.

My cat is about 5 years old. At the end of last year she started to develop some skin problem on the top of her neck. It is like little sores and she scratches it quite a lot. She looses hair and it looks like skin/blood flakes that comes off as well. I took her to the vet and she gave me some Cortisone to give to her. This worked fantastically. But a month after we stopped, she started scratching again. I can' t see any fleas on her, and use frontline on a regula basis. I took her to the Vet again and she gave me cortisone once again. This only helps my cat whilst she is using the pills, but after that it is back to scratching again.

What could this be?

Dear Louisa

I suspect a flea bite allergy. You normally do not see fleas on a cat that is fle bite sensitive. Use mirracote over her food and apply frontline every 2 weeks.

1

My experience with frontline is that the fleas seem to build up immunity to it . I alternate with other flea products also available from the vets or vet shops.