Posted by: Jojo | 2009-01-13

Cat' s claws

Hi. Pse can someone advise me. I have a beautiful lovable ginger cat whom I adore and who is constantly on my lap or sleeping on me whenever he can. My problem is that he has sharp claws that are always out. He' s not scratching me on purpose, but I just think that his nails are too long and can' t be retracted properly. Is it advisable to trim them (well not me - the vet) or is that the wrong thing to do. We live in a house with a garden, so he does have access to trees and scratching branches. I' ve seen him scratching some posts, but it' s not made any difference to the nail length.
It' s just so unpleasant for both of us to have to unhook him from my clothes everytime he has to get off my lap or when I cuddle him.

Dear Jojo

Let your vet show you how to clip the nails, not difficult at all.