Question
Posted by: Catlover | 2011/03/30

Cat with sensitive stomach

Hi, I hope you can give me some advice. My 3yr old female cat was diagnosed with a sensitive stomach when she was still a kitten. She is on Hills Sensitive Stomach food, but still get stomach cramps every now and again (she sits in a bundle and make funny sounds until her tummy goes - poo however is solid). Is there anything I can give her when her tummy cramps like this?

Then also, a few months ago she suddenly started to poo everywhere (and with this I don''t mean only outside - on the bed, couch where ever) except in her litter box. She still uses the litter box to wee in. It seems like she is pooing where she sleeps...could it be that her tummy just suddenly wants to go and there is not enough time for her to go to her litterbox? Sometimes you can see that she actually did try to not go there...she would jump up and run...leaving poo all the way down the hall. Or is she just naughty? What can I do?

Advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Answer:
It sounds like the condition is still not under control especially with the fact that the cat is soiling in the house now. Behavioral causes are a possibility but this is normally urination and not defecation , and I think that one should rule out all the possible medical causes first so I would suggest that she gets a full clinical exam by your vet and to start with the basic work-up of chronic diarrhea. Something like a fecal analysis is a basic test and can rule out possible parasitic causes for example.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2011/03/30

I don''t think she is just naughty - she has a problem, and it is necessary to find out what it is.

First, she needs a fairly thorough check-up, to rule out any obvious signs of illness. Second, there is no disease called ''sensitive stomach'' - she may well be allergic to something, or have some deficiency within her metabolism which prevents her digesting her food normally, and if you don''t establish this so that you can avoid feeding her stuff she can''t process, then you won''t reach a satisfactory conclusion.

She may also have a neurotic problem - ie, be highly strung, or maybe something gave her a fright at or near her litterbox (this could be something as inadvertent as a flash of light off a mirror, to name a simple example). In such a case she may need to be given some calming medication, either until she gets over it, or maybe long-term.

The vet will examine her thoroughly, may well take a blood sample for analysis, and other procedures may be required, depending on the results. Or, maybe you''ll get lucky and the vet will help spare your wallet, and suggest you try out some other type of diet, just to see what happens.

Either way, I certainly wouldn''t put this down simply to ''naughtiness''

Let us know what happens!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cybervet | 2011/03/30

Answer:

Reply to Cybervet