Posted by: Ren | 2012-10-27

cat with itchy skin/dandruff

My cat suffers from an itchy skin each change of season. He eats Hills d/d only so we know its not food and he has his Fibrotec each 4 weeks.

He''''s previously had a steroid shot which did not agree with him so I''''d not like to do that again.

This time, however, he has dandruff (not significant but enough to be seen on his black coat).

What can I do about this?Also, is it ok to put the Fibrotec on now while his skin is so dry?

Dandruff or scaly skin may simply be caused by dry, poorly hydrated skin. There are many causes of skin flakiness and various tests may need to be performed by your veterinarian for an accurate diagnosis. Good nutrition is important for cats to maintain a healthy, shiny coat. Some cats respond well to an omega-3 fatty acid supplement added to their diet. Talk to your veterinarian about this. Bathing your cat too frequently can be a cause of dry skin, so only bathe your cat when it’s truly necessary. If you do bathe your cat, use a conditioning rinse specifically designed for cats. In addition, comb your cat often to remove loose hair and dandruff flakes. If your cat is itchy as well, the dry skin might be a manifestation of an itchy skin disorder, such as allergies (allergic dermatitis), parasites or a skin infection. If the cause is external parasites, then the skin condition should improve a few days after applying Fiprotec. Have your veterinarian examine your cat and make sure that it is just a case of dry skin.