Posted by: N | 2008-12-06

Cat Stressed

I recently moved homes and my cat used to walk outside and play on the mountain freely everyday, however I now moved closer to work to the subburbs and my cat has been inside for the past week now. He cries to go outside being a outdoor kitty and all. The place I moved to has a cat friendly dog though. I can not afford to buy the Feliway diffuser at this stage but think my cat is actually depressed.

I took him outside yesterday for the fist time but as soon as he saw the dog he nearly had a heart attack an ran straight for the cupbourd and didn' t move for the whole day.

My cat is not the hiding type pls help, I am really worried. I wouldn t mind him becoming a indoor kitty cause he isn' t getting any younger (10), but I do not want him to be depressed either.

Dear N

Sorry, no other affordable options available.

Posted by: Granny Cat | 2008-12-13

Your cat will take a while to get used to the new environment. We moved to a new area last year, I let my cat roam inside for a week, and then opened the front door for her to explore. For the first few days she stayed on the step, and sniffed and observed, while I talked to her and stayed with her. She would then dash inside and hide, but every day she moved a bit further from the door, getting used to the new smells. You should be with him when you introduce him to the dog. Perhaps stroke the dog, and let the cat sniff the smell on your hand, until it is used to the smell if the dog. Later just sit with him while he watches the activities of the dog, etc. Patience iis the buzz word here. My cat is completely settled in, it just took time, about a month before she was comfortable to go out by herself.

Reply to Granny Cat