Posted by: jjloubser | 2009-01-07

Cat - skin irritation

My female cat of approx 3 years has some kind of irritation just above the tail area. She keeps pulling the hair out &  I can see her biting &  scratching like crazy. I have inspected the area &  it looks like small red bite marks, which then become a little infected. Can you help - we keep her &  her sister on Frontline plus at all times.

Dear jjloubser

Can only be a flea bite allergy. Use frontline every 2 weeks this time of year, spray the carpets with Flego every 3 months and give them capstar once a week for a start to break the cycle.

Posted by: felicity | 2009-01-07

It sounds like flea allergy dermatitis which in a nutshell means she may be allergic to flea saliva and one flea bite causes her body to produce too many histamines in response to the flea bite. You will need to be vigilant with your flea treatment and do it al least every 30 days (you can do safely every 21 days) and make sure her bedding and house is kept flea free by using either Flego or Ultrum Duration. If she is really bad you would have to take her to your vet for a cortisone shot to give her body a breather.

Reply to felicity