Question
Posted by: Loanda | 2012/05/16

CAT SEEMS TO BE HAVING FITS?

Female cat of almost 14 years of age.
Since 15/5/2012 she seems be getting some kind of fit. One in the morning, 2 last night and 1 this morning. She''ll be fine, then she''ll give a few very loud meows, get up but then it''s as if her hind legs give in under her. Her eyes move side to side furiously and it''s as if her head makes tiny jerking motions. Her heart also beats a mile a minute. It lasts between 10 &  15 minutes. Has never happened before. I noticed she gets extremely panick stricken when it happens. (I haven''t seen any convulsions).
The first time I thought she''d tried to jump up on my dressing table but that she''s pulled everything over, but from what I saw last night and this morning that waasn''t the case. When it happened, I''ve picked her up and held her very tight against me, which she doesn''t usually allow one to do. (She doesn''t like to be picked up or cuddled). I''ve held her very tight and then I massage her muscles, and talk to her until she''s calmed down.

She''s 13 years old, has been spayed. She eats very well, drinks a lot of water but she doesn''t like meat, fish, chicken, mince or even biltong. She''ll sniff at it, dry retch and then she''ll chase it around my flat until my Tom cat (18 years old) " takes it away from her" .

I''m very worried at the moment and need to take her to the vet, but for now I just need to know what it could be.

Please could you get back to me?

Loanda

Hi Loanda

Seizures can be idiopathic, metabolic, due to trauma, toxicity, neoplasia, vascular disturbances (hypertension, feline ischemic encephalopathy), infectious or inflammatory in origin. As you already know you have to go to your vet and have the problem investigated to identify the cause. Once identified the vet will hopefully be able to treat you cat.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012/05/21

Hi Loanda

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet