Posted by: lisa | 2009-04-16

cat-scratch disease

hello doctor

can you please tell me why the test for cat-scratch can take up to 4 weeks to get results?
the doctor' s think i have it and it has affected my left and there is major swelling and hemmoraging and macular oedema in my eye, and my vision is down to 0.03 because almost everything is a blur. they are not sure that it actually is this, but because i have 7 cats and get scratched alot by the kittens i might have it because im presenting the symptoms. i dont want it to take forever to get results :( they have put me on ciploxx 500, so here' s to hoping it is that, and that my eye recovers!!! (im only 22)
And also quickly: does cat-scratch normally only affect 1 eye???

Hallo Lisa
Sometimes in the rarer bacteria the labs do the tests only once a month. I wonder why they think that this is the cause of your eye problem, did you have any swollen glands or an ulcer in your eye? Cat scratch disease is usually self limiting and not serious. Eye infection is rare (2-17% of patients)