Cat problem, no idea what it is..

Hi Doc, hope you well. I' ve got a problem with two of my cats. They both seem to have the same thing. Over a period of time they started losing weight even though they both have appetite. When they groom themselves they pull on their fur and now they have bald spots on their legs with what resembles some kind of rash. They also salivate alot but the saliva looks thick and sticky and it just hangs there off their mouths and they don' t seem to notice it so I have to wipe it off with a tissue. The viscosity of the saliva makes their fur look like they' ve got styling gel in areas where they groomed themselves. They starting to look and smell really bad. One cat in particular seems to have a weird reaction while she eats. At some stage she jumps up and starts turning her head from side to side and ends up throwing up some of the food with bit of blood in it (I thought that her tooth might be loose but she occassionally does it while she' s just walking around...almost like a weird nervous twitch). I' m worried about my cats but because of my finaces, I' m worried of taking them to the vet. If it' s something very serious I will take them. If you perhaps know what it is and how much it would cost to get my cats better, I would greatly appreciate it. Could it be cat Aids as both cats seem to have the same symptoms as if one contracted it from somewhere and infected the other one.

Thank you in advance

Dear Anon

Follow Chill's advice.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-07-16

When you have pets, you are obliged to look after them, and that includes their health.

It sounds to me like both your cats are ill, and you MUST take them to a vet - if you can' t afford it, go to one of the welfare clinics, or make arrangements to pay your vet in instalments.

The longer you leave it, the more serious it' s going to get, and the more it is likely to cost. Please take them straight away - if you have a decent vet, I' m sure he' ll understand if you want to pay him over a couple of months!

Reply to Chill