Question
Posted by: Cat lover | 2010/02/18

Cat peeing in the bath

Hi Cybervet.
I have 2 cats, both 1 yr, grew up together since 5 weeks old. I keep them in at night. They have 2 litter boxes to use at night and I use the crystals and keep the box clean. They usually go outside during the day. The male has been using the litter box all this time but recently he has started to wee in the bath over the drain. The female uses the box and there have never been a dominance issue that I am aware of. I have collected his wee to test at the vet and there are no infections. How can I get him to use the litter box again? Just before he started weeing in the bath I had brought home a kitten I had found at work but kept him in the same bathroom for just one night. The kitten has found ahome and has been out for about 2 weeks. I used vinegar and water to neutralise any smells the kitten left behind so I shouldn' t think it is that.

I am also due to have a baby soon and would like to know if you have any tips to miminise the stress that a crying baby will have on my cats. I have heard stories about cats being so stressed that they start to wee all over the house and then get euthanised, but I am not prepared to put my cats to sleep, they will have to adapt to the change.

Cat lover.

Dear Cat Lover

I suspect a bladder infection, take him for a check up.

2
Posted by: Me | 2010/02/18

Sorry cant help with the cat weeing in the bath. On the pregnancy issue. I had 2 male cats when I got pregnant. The one cat accepted the new baby immediately and was just curious, however the other cat moved in with my neighbour. My neighbour, a single man, came over one day asking whether it is my cat that sleeps with him during the night. He vowed never to give the cat food, but the cat only came home to eat and stayed with him for the rest of the time. We moved away 2 years later and I gave him the cat. So cats can behave quite different. The other one moved with us and was very happy playing with my son.

Reply to Me
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/02/18

Dear Cat Lover

Reply to Cybervet