Question
Posted by: Nicole | 2010/09/13

Cat peeing all over the place

Hi There

My cat has started peeing around the house. He is four years old. He was neutered. He is peeing on clothes and in cupboards. We have tried repelling sprays, but they don''t work. I really don''t want to get rid of him. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Nicole

Unfortunately neutered cat will spray. Spraying can be a sign of increased arousal often associated with the presence of other cats both inside and outside the home. Marking is often categorised as either sexual or reactional behaviour (environmental or social changes and distubances in the scent profile of the house).

Try and limit the cats access to the sprayed area. It will als be important to try and identify the triggers and to eventually remove them. The literature states that if the trigger(s) cannot be removed then the cat must undergo a programme of counter conditioning and desenitization - house hold changes must be done gradually to allow the cat to adjust and the owners must interact more via play, grooming and attention.

Try and make the sprayed area aversive - forexample chilli spray or citonella spray.

Try and limit visual access to other cats in the outside environment.

I hope this helps.

3
Posted by: Tracey | 2010/09/14

My cat started doing this when i had my first child. She would even pee on my bed. Try giving the cat extra amount ot attention. My cat eventually stopped but then i had mmy second child and it started all over again. The when my baby was about three months old then she stopped again. We went away recently just for two days and my cat pee all over the house. I think that get the feeling of being left out or something.

Reply to Tracey
Posted by: steph | 2010/09/14

your cat may have a bladder infection...go to the vet asap

Reply to steph
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/09/14

Hi Nicole

I hope this helps.

Reply to CyberVet