Question
Posted by: Santie | 2008/08/22

Cat peeing

Morning Cybervet,

We got a Cat from a shop next to the road when on an outing. Hubby said it looked like they were mostly closing the Cat in a room, i suspect the Cat was abused. It was in a helthy condition but it' s behaviour was that of being abused. Since we got the Cat 3 months ago it in the mornings and evenings pee' s in certain place' s in my house, sometime' s during the day also.
How i realised it must have been abused is it was scared of my domestic and other stranghe behaviours it did.
We had a litter box in the house for it in the begening but quickly got rid of this as it stank horribly, our house is so small built there was only room in the sitting room for the litter box. The stench in the morning was just too much, so this is not an option. The Cat does his toilet mostly outside during the day.
Can you please advise me on what to do the Cat is healthy.
Regards.

Dear Santie

Clean the area with a biological cleaner, available from vets/vetshops. Close that area off for the cat if possible. If not put a lot of small plates with cat food on in and on this area where the cat pees. Cats will not pee on food. For a start you have to use a litter box, preferrably a closed one for maximun privacy. Buy a Feliway diffuser to reduce stress indoors- the cat will be more likely to go outside and pee if the feliway gives him a sense of happiness indoors. Neuter the cat if he's got balls. If the cats uses only the litter box slowly move this outdoors bit by bit over a few weeks.