Posted by: tash | 2009-01-28

Cat not using litterbox

I adopted a 4 month old Persian last week. The woman we got her from said she used the crystal litter for her but the cat refuses to use the litterbox. She has urinated on the bed twice, and in the cupboard and messed on the bathroom mat. When she starts meowing and I think she needs to use the loo I put her in the litter box but she just jumps out.

I have two domestics and they are obviously eyeing her with a little hissing but not as bad as I expected. I am at my wits end as to how to get her to start using the little box

Dear Tash

It is important to rule out bladder infection. If not use a Feliway diffuser, put a few covered litter boxes in the house and put small plates of food out if she urinates in a spesific areas. Cats will not urinate close to their food. Do not klen the litter boxes to often as a clean smell can sometimes put them off as well.

Posted by: Carol | 2009-01-28

I wonder if she hasnt got a bladder infection ... she would associate the litter with pain .

Take her to the vet to make sure and then we can look at behaviour issues .

Reply to Carol