Question
Posted by: Gavin Bell | 2010/04/14

Cat licking her hair off

I have a 10yr old Chocolate Point Siamese who has always been an apartment cat, and never left the apartment. Over the last year she has started licking herself that she has removed all the hair from her underbelly and hind legs. She is constantly licking and there is not a moment that goes by without her always licking - any ideas why?? I did take her to the vet who diagnosed her as OCD and prescribed a prozac for cats, but this completely zoned her out to another dimension and I don''t want to give her those kind of meds again...

Hallo Gavin

Treat her for fleas every 2 weeks, put mirra cote over her food and get a Feliway diffuser as well.

2
Posted by: Clare | 2010/04/18

Gavin, i had the same thing with my cat. One vet diagnosed him as depressive and gave him something but he too was totally out of it. I stopped his meds and took him to another vet who did skin biopsies. The results came back as an allergy. I changed his food, and gave him epazol. Its a oil which can be put over his food, and it gives him the extra attention he needs for his coat. i put cortazone on his " wounds" 

Reply to Clare
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/04/16

Hallo Gavin

Reply to Cybervet