Posted by: Gordon Gassert | 2011-02-07

Cat Killer

2 year old Husky has killed 2 of my neighbours cats - aggressive to other dogs / cats - will she now remain a cat killer or can I train her to control the urge?....

In my experience I doubt that you can train her out of it.

Posted by: CyberVet | 2011-02-09

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Carol | 2011-02-07

I admit I dont know Huskies, but cat killing , chicken killing can be corrected with a lot of patience .

My two clowns (boxers) were chicken killers and eaters .... we moved to a farm and I was determined to keep chickens , ducks, and geese, I operate on this rather strange idea that my pets WILL get on .:)

In the meantime however I had done some more intensive training with them , to turn then into lesser hooligans.

We got our rooster and 5 hens , put both dogs on leash and holding the chickens let them given them a good sniff, of course the chickens werent impressed , but that wasnt the point of the excersise ....

We had bought a hooter and released one dog at a time , all the time praising good behaviour in the calmer dog.. as soon as Miki went towards the chickens we pressed the hooter , which immediately distracted her , we called her and praised her .... this took two weeks .. and that was the end of the chicken murders .

Now we have dogs, cats, parrots, ducks geese and chickens with NO drama

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Health24 Admin | 2011-02-07

Hello Gordon,

Thank you for writing to Health24 - we have also posted this question on the dog behaviour expert''s forum.

Reply to Health24 Admin
Posted by: Chill | 2011-02-07

Dogs are hunters and that is a simple fact that you cannot change. Most dogs suppress their instincts up to a point, but in truth you can never be 100% sure. I recall my 10-y-o spaniels, years ago - the gentlest critters that ever walked this earth - finding a mole in the garden, and setting about killing it like total professionals - they worked in a team, avoided being bitten - in fact behaved like they had been trained for exactly this purpose. One of my current dogs caught and ate what I suspect will turn out to be his last dove at the age of 16,5. (Yes, disgusting, plus he eats like a king anyway, but try explaining that to him...)

Frankly, I wouldn''t trust the husky alone with cats ever again, they will in all likelihood not be safe. What you do need to do though is provide as much canine ''entertainment'' as possible - proper exercise, play, toys, chews - PLUS, a bit of professional training may help a bit, insofar as if the dog is planning a cathunt and it''s been trained, it MAY listen to you if you holler ''no''.

Reply to Chill