Posted by: Cat owner | 2012-04-12

Cat issues

Since I''ve had my 2 cats at 6 weeks age, the one has suckled on it''s brother''s private parts, obviously for comfort - this happens mostly when he goes to sleep. I''ve discouraged him to do that which worked, but now he suckles his own. I got advice to smear it with baby bum cream, as they do not like the smell of it. Initially it worked, but now he simly licks it off and suckles again. I was told that this is not good for him (they apparently drink their urine), but I see the bum cream contains nasty parabens and chemicals. I have considered putting aloe which is bitter on it, but feel sorry for the cat, as they do need to wash themselves. Please help! This kitten is now 7 monts old and I would like to help grow him out of the habit. He is emotionally quite needy, so if you scold him when he does it, he gets very upset and is get scared of me. He obviously does that for comfort and I try to give him as much of that as possible. What can I do?

Hi Cat Owner

You need to discuss this matter with a qualified pet behaviorist. I suspect that there willbe no quick fix and that the problem may dissipate with age.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Posted by: Edmond | 2012-05-18

A well written aclrite, I just passed this onto a fellow worker who was doing a little research on that. And he in fact purchased me breakfast because I discovered it for him . So let me rephrase that: Thank you for the treat! But yeah Thanks for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more info? It is extremely helpful for me. Two thumb up for this blog!

Reply to Edmond