Question
Posted by: Dave | 2011/03/30

Cat Food

We changed our cat food and started them on Purina suddenly this was off the shelves and we had to change again and are currently on Friskies.It took a while before they got used to it.I feed them twice a day but the one cat has put on so much weight. I am concerned about her weight i reckon probably around 6kg what can I do about it?

It important to monitor your pet’s weight and obesity can lead to several medical problems. It’s important that a body condition score is carried out on your cat so that the ideal weight can be determined. Once you know that an ideal diet + quantities of food can be prescribed for your pet. Forced or controlled exercise is a much bigger challenge than in dogs for example and therefore one relies heavily on the correct diet and controlled quantities. Most veterinary clinics will have weight clinics and is probably the ideal place to start.

4
Posted by: Dave | 2011/03/30

Thanks guys I will have her checked out this afternoon and change her diet

Reply to Dave
Posted by: Nic | 2011/03/30

I highly recommend Hills. It is more expensive per bag but definitely works out cheaper in the long run and improves their health dramatically. I have a six year old cat that was in terrible condition health-wise when I got her and she went straight onto Hills. She''s never had to visit the vet for anything except her vaccinations and spaying. A true testament to premium foods. And at her last booster injection, the vet told me that she is their only feline patient that is not overweight!

Reply to Nic
Posted by: Chill | 2011/03/30

Well look, the answer is clear: feed her less. However, I quite see that that may be awkward, specially having two cats that you can''t supervise 100% of the time.

You don''t say how old the cats are, or how active, so here''s some generic advice: if the cat''s weight gain is directly linked to the introduction of the new food, then you need to start rationing it. What would really be ideal is to go and get one of the better types of food, from the vetshop - I know it costs more, but it is truly superior in that it will preserve your cats'' health in a meaningful way - for example, cats fed the fancy foods are far, far less inclined to have kidney problems later in life. There are senior variants avaiable, which are also suitable for feeding to an overweight or inactive cat - they''re lower in calories.

It''s never a bad idea to let the vet give the cat the once-over too, that way you can be more sure that there''s nothing else going on, plus it gives you an opportunity to discuss the whole diet thing with a professional.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cybervet | 2011/03/30

Reply to Cybervet