Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2011/02/10

Cat Flu - Puppies

My friends dog had puppies that all got cat flu. Once cured can they still pass the disease onto other dogs?

Yes, It is vital to make sure the environment is disinfected with a 1;32 bleach solution ,bedding and toys etc too. The virus is stable in the enviroment for months. It is spread from contaminated faeces via your puppies mouth. If the mother dog is vaccinated the pups will receive maternal immunity . Puppies should be vaccinated from 6-8 w of age then repeated 3-4w weeks and again 3-4 weeks after the second vaccinations. It is highly contagious but can be prevented by vaccination. The chances of picking up the virus once FULLY vaccinated is slim.

4
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/10

That''s quite sad and also somewhat misinformed on the part of ''recipients'' - parvo is part of the standard vaccination package for dogs, so that risk is pretty well ruled out.

If you take a look at the SA Veterinary Assoc website (www followed by sava.co.za) you will see that the parvo vaccine is part of the ''core'' vaccination bundle - anyone wanting to take a pup from this litter can confirm with their own vet that this was included when their dogs were vaccinated, and I''m sure their vet can also confirm the extent of immunity this provides.

Because of its longevity in the environment, I would say that a large proportion of our dogs have been exposed to vaccination, and withstood the disease. This is confirmed by the fact that most dogs that do get it, are so young that their immunity is still being built up via the standard vaccination programme.

It''s the same with distemper - pups receive a degree of immunity via their mothers, this is reinforced by vaccination, and distemper is so widespread that constant exposure serves to strengthen immunity to the extent that very few adult dogs actually get it.

Hopefully that places this into perspective.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Lisa | 2011/02/10

Thanks Chill,

we thought of taking one, but i have 5 dogs at home and can''t risk them all getting the virus.

they''re spaniels and she can''t even give them away because of what they have

Reply to Lisa
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/10

The parvo virus remains active in faeces and soil for up to a year. I''m not sure whether the puppies themselves can still infect other dogs - I do know that once a pup has recovered from parvo, it will be immune to the virus for more than a year.

It seems that the only thing that kills the virus in the environment is bleach - obviously not practical to render a home completely sterile. If you have visited someone whose dog has the disease, then it would be wise to disinfect one''s shoes and maybe hands, using bleach.

{and by the way, Health24, if you''re reading this: those stupid numbers you want us to enter every time are totally annoying, half the time they are illegible.}

Not sure if this answers your question - possibly you want to bring one of the pups into your home, and you''re worried about other dogs. Provided their vaccinations are current, they should of course be ok - but that still doesn''t answer the question  -)

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/02/10

Reply to CyberVet