Posted by: mb | 2009-04-17

Cat fights and antibiotics

My year and a half old, neutered, male cat has been getting into quite a lot of scraps lately, and we' ve had to take him to the vet quite often. Every time he goes he gets a course of antibiotics for the wounds, and normally an anti-inflamatory injection. The last time we took him we had to take him back two days later because an absess had formed on top of his head which they needed lance and flush.

I know that in humans it' s really bad for your kidneys to go on antibiotics repeatedly - is the same true for cats? He always gets Synulox. (3 x 250mg tablets, dose = 1/4 tablet twice a day)

Is there anything we could / should be doing to get him to fight less? Our neighbours recently moved in with 5 cats so I suspect they' ve been having little turf-wars. We close him in at night to keep other cats out, so all his fights must happen during the day when we' re at work.

Failing that, when he' s been hurt in a fight, is there anything we can do for him at home to clean wounds and treat him for pain without going to the vet? Or is the vet route the best / safest?

Dear MB

Antibiotics not bad for kidneys. If you clean thw wounds with diluted hibiscrub, you have a good chance of preventing and abscess and the need for antibiotics.

I know it is an old post but for someone happening onto this page - with the same problem - remember to buy a can of TERAMYCIN spray (just over R100) at a pharmacy or vet _whoever sells it at a reasonable price. It lasts a very (very) long time so it is a good product to have for cats that get into fights. You can save thousands of rands by not going to the vet each time. And you can get Synulox tablets at a pharmacy if you know the problem is an bacterial infection or even an abcess - if you spray teramycin your cat will anycase try to lick it off- which is still fine - this way het or she will normally open the abcess and it will drain - just repeat the spray at least once a day until the wound is 100%.

Posted by: mb | 2009-04-18

Thanks guys!

Reply to mb
Posted by: Carol | 2009-04-17

All I do is clean the wound properly and use betadine .. that sorts its out quickly.

I also have an in house vet tho.... my boxer always cleans the cats and their wounds heal very quickly.

Reply to Carol