Question
Posted by: Danell Oosthuizen | 2011-07-30

Cat eye infection and Terra-Contril

Hi there Cybervet
My cat has an eye infection. It started in the 1 eye last week Monday, and then spread to the other eye on Wednesday. I tried cleaning it with luke warm water, which didn''t help and then tried a luke warm used tea bag but that didn''t help either.
Today, I started using Terra-Contril which I found in my medicine cabinet.
Can I use that for the infection? It really looks sore. Is there anything else one can use (home made remedy?)

Hi Danell

I would advise that you stop with the Terra-Cortril and get the cat’s eye checked by your local veterinarian.

The clinician should examine the eye’s and ensure that there is no corneal ulceration before using Terra-Cortril as it contains Hydrocortisone and could potentially make the problem a lot worse.

Kind Regards

Angus campbell

3
Posted by: Chill | 2011-08-02

Thanks for the feedback - glad it worked, I guess you were lucky in that it was the correct type of ailment (if you know what I mean...)

I keep a little tube of eye ointment called Sulphacetamide (otc med from chemist/dischem), just in case I (or my dogs) need it - that''s ok for minor abrasions as well - quite a handy first aid thing while you decide whether a vet visit is called for.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Danell | 2011-08-02

Hi Chill and Angus

The medication seemed to work though? His eyes cleared up, but thank you for the advice! I will surely make use of it should it happen again...
I only saw the replies after I started with the meds :-(...
Anycase, thank you once again!
Have yourselves an awesome day!!!!
Kindest regards,
Danell

Reply to Danell
Posted by: Chill | 2011-07-30

By terra-contril, I must assume you mean terra-cortril - this is a preparation which contains an antibiotic plus cortisone.

There is no way I would be using cortisone in an animal''s eye without the express consent of a vet - it''s a wonder drug, but if used for the wrong thing can do a whole lot of harm. My understanding - I am NOT a vet - is that cortisone is only used in eyes suffering from allergic conjunctivitis and not bacterial infections, as it may cause corneal ulcers.

I would suggest you take the cat to the vet, and in the meantime, try this: boil some water, and put it into a clean container with a small amount of salt - say half a teaspoon to maybe a cup of water. Let it cool, then use this to clean the eyes - use a CLEAN bit of cotton-wool for EACH eye - don''t use the same bit for both, because you''ll cross-infect them. Wipe from the outside corner to the inside (nose side). You will most likely find that the cat will like it.

Reply to Chill