Question

Cat eats elastic bands

Good Day Cibervet

I have a question, my 3yr old female cat loves to eat elastic bands, so we cleared out all the elastic bands and are keeping it in a cuboard out of her reach. But now she breaks into my chest of drawers and steels my elastic hairbands. She literally forces her paw into the tiniest crack just to fish out a band.The outerpart is coverd in nylon or something but she bites through this and eats, yes eats the elastic insides. We know this cause my hubby sees it in her poop when he cleans her litterbox. What can we do to stop this behavior? We live in a flat is it because she doesn''t eat grass that she does this, we feed her Friskies and she is a happy, loving healthy cat.
Please advise,

Thank you,
Anon

Hi Anon
It surely sounds like your cat has a strange fascination with elastic bands. You are definitely doing the right thing by trying to keep it out of her reach! If she ingests 1 or 2 bands it will most likely pass through but if she constantly ingests them it can cause constipation and intestinal blockage! I would recommend that you get her different kinds of good quality chews for cats and see if she does not like these more than the elastic bands.

3
Posted by: Ruby | 2011/03/23

WHat about putting something bad-tasting, like citronella, on the bands? Maybe if she tries it once or twice (cats don''t like the taste or smell) it might put her off?

Reply to Ruby
Posted by: Chill | 2011/03/22

Put all elastic bands where she cannot get to them.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/03/22

Hi Anon

Reply to CyberVet