Posted by: Kelly | 2012-02-29

Cat does not want to know our problems

We have an older neutered male cat, we are unsure of the age because he adopted us. The vet estimates that he would be around 12 years now. He has slowly lost weight and muscle tone but still eats regularly and drinks as well. My concern is that he used to be a very affectionate cat, he would always come to lie with me in the evening and would want constant attention.

Over the last few weeks, he rarely comes inside, ignores me when I call him (and I know he has heard me, because his ears prick up). I am very concerned about his behaviour, his whole personality seems to have changed.

What can you recommend we do?

Hi Kelly

There is every possibility that your cats behavioral problems maybe associated with ill health. I would advise that you take your cat to the vet for a check-up +/- diagnostic evaluation to determine if there are health issues.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell