Question
Posted by: Lee | 2012/02/17

Cat diagnosed with Luekemia

I recently found out my 15 year old male cat has Luekemia.
He spent a night in hospital and was discharged yesterday. He has come up with a bunch of meds which I must administer twice daily. He refuses to drink or eat, so I am resorting to force feeding him through a syringe. He is not the same cat he once was. He just lies around all day and does nothing, and when he does stand up and walk. he seems off balance and just wants to lay down again. It is sad to see him like this. I really don''t know what to do. I could never put him down, as he is a part of our family. The vet said he would not be suffering, or be in pain. But, to have to live like the way he is now, I feel so sorry for him.
I need advice, as I hear some cats only live for a few months and some continue to live with the disease for up to 2-3 years.
I''d hate to see him in this state everyday. He cannot even jump up onto things like he used to, because he just falls off. I cannot tell if he is happy as he just sits around staring into space.
Am I doing the right thing by keeping him around. I wish he could tell me what he wanted.....

Hi Lee

I am so sorry about your beloved cat.
As you probably know feline leukemia in its terminal stages can present with severe weight loss, diarrhoea, gingivitis, stomatitis, chronic respiratory disease, lymphadenopathy and chronic skin disease. The only therapy that is currently available is supportive therapy and this is directed towards the management of related conditions. It is difficult for me to know if your beloved pet is suffering. Please remember that euthanasia is a form of treatment in that it removes pain and suffering. My advice is to discuss the progress of your cat with you vet on a daily and see what happens.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012/02/24

Hi Lee

I am so sorry about your beloved cat.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet