Question
Posted by: Trace | 2011/08/01

Cat - chicken bones

Hi, I have a ferral cat and I fed him some chicken from Woolworths, that would include the bones. Im now afraid that he may have one of the bones stuck in his throat as when he eats he wants to throw up. Im not sure if it is the chicken bone because when eating the chicken he also threw up. I take it Im not supposed to feed a cat chicken bones? Im going to try and catch him and take him to the vet .. but he is so old Im sure the stress of being caught may just kill him. To confirm I should not feed a cat cooked chicken bones? And it may be something else that is bothering my feral cat, making him want to throw up after he has eaten food? Many thanks

Hi Trace.

If possible I would avoid feeding chicken bones to your feral cat.

If you have the time please take him to your vet for a check-up/work-up to access why he is vomiting. If you are concerned about stress then ask your vet to sedate him on arrival at the practice.

Kind Regards

Angus Campbell

2
Posted by: Chill | 2011/08/01

There is absolutely no clarity about whether it''s ok to give chicken bones to cats - opinions are neatly divided. Lots of people merrily give them to their dogs too, with no ill effect (seemingly). I think it was best summed up by a previous cybervet who, when asked if bones are dangerous for dogs (or cats), replied: ''only the ones that get stuck''.

I think it''s pretty much sod''s law - just as humans can choke on something that they''ve eaten regularly, I guess a bone can ''go down the wrong way'', after a thousand bones that gave no trouble.

Of course the problem with the cat may well be something completely different - unfortunately there''s really only one way to find out.

Either way, don''t blame yourself. You''ve evidently taken it upon yourself to take care of this cat, which is a wonderful thing. As they say in the classics: sh!t happens...

Good luck catching him - maybe you can get a tranquilliser and put it into something he can eat, that would lessen the stress for him.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/08/01

Hi Trace.

Kind Regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet