Question
Posted by: Cherilynn | 2011/02/14

Cat biting and scratching

HI

My female cat was born on 8 Feb 2010 (she has just turned 1yr old). We had her sterilized when she was 6 months old. She was the runt of her litter and her mother pushed her away. At 2 days old she was adopted and hand reered. When she was old enough she came to stay with us at +/- 6 weeks of age.

We are living in a apartment complex, and we leave her inside the whole day. There are other stray cats in the complex and I''''m scared that she will get into a fight. When I come home, I leave the door open free for her to roam, but she only sits and looks out the front door. I leave the sliding door open for her during the day as well for some fresh air, and she can sit on the balcony.

Thing is, she scratches and bites us alot. I''''m not sure if this a game for her, but its not nice and I don''''t know what to do to get her to stop. She will lay on the floor and push her ears down and bite your leg for no reason, even if you are just walking past her, all the biting and scratching actually causes us to bleed sometimes.

She will only come to me, (and will scratch and bite me as well) and she only sleeps by me. I feed her in the mornings and in the evenings, she has fresh water put out for her daily and has pellets to nibble on throughout the day.

Is this boredom that is making her so agressive, or what can I do to calm her down?

There is definitely a boredom component to this. I would certainly look at getting her more toys available form most shops/ Vets. Rotate the toys on a regular basis and as much as possible try and play with here , Rolling balls , toilet rolls ( empty) have string with a ball hanging from a chair etc. Consider buying a pheromone / calming collar from your Vet

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/02/17

Reply to CyberVet