Posted by: Shelley | 2011-03-07

Cat bite

I am 10 weeks pregnant and I was bitten by my neighbours cat on Saturday around 6pm. I have been bitten by my cat before and it cleared by itself but because I am pregnant I was orried that I might get an infection. There were 2 deep puncture wounds on my wrist which were bleeding so I cleaned it with normal soap and water but they still bled a bit after. Went to the chemist and got some Bactizap spray to spray on it to clean it. Then as the night wore on I also cleaned it with surgical spirits and Usol.

That night it swelled slightly, there was a small red ring around the marks and there was clear liquid coming out of them if I squeezed it - no pus, no fever.

I only got to the Doctor the next day so it was aproximately 14hrs after the bite. By this time the redness has spread about 2 finger lengths around the one bite mark and was a little painful to the touch. Doc put me on amoxicillin 500mg x 6 per day. (3x500mg in the morning and 3x500mg at night). I was also given bactorban to apply twice per day

He told me that this should be sufficient treatment, no need for a rabies injection or Tetnus as I had a tetnus shot in 2006.

I am on day 2 of the antibiotics and there seems to be less pain and less swelling. My question is what signs should I look out for that it is getting worse or better?

I have read horror stories on the internet about people having to go to hospital and have IV antibiotics and that some people even died! I am concerened about the well being of myself and my baby!

Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011-03-08

Posted by: Dr Bets | 2011-03-07

Hallo Shelley
Redness, swelling, swollen glands under your arms and fever are signs that the infection is getting worse. However, I think that you are treating it correctly and it is unlikely that it will cause complications.

Reply to Dr Bets