Posted by: Granny Cat | 2008-11-15

Cat afraid of Thunder

My 3 year old female cat is afraid of thunder. She becomes very agitated even before I can hear the thunder, and scurries around looking for somewhere to hide. I normally keep a cupboard door half open for her, she also hides under the bed, but sometimes she is absolutely terrified. She won' t let me hold her, I just talk to her or sit outside the cupboard where she hides, but when we go on holiday she has to go to kennels, and I always worry about her. Somebody suggested that I try giving her Rescue Remedy. What dosage, if any, should I give her? Is there any other medication that I can use to try and calm her? I can' t put it in her drinking water, as she prefers to drink from a running tap, and also I think the smell may put her off.

Dear Granny Cat

A feliway diffuser and spray is your answer. You can also use Nutricalm, a natural product.