how do i keep my cat from not going over the walls , he is 6 months old now, i do lock him in the house during the day while w are at work, but in the evenings and weekends i can' t keep him locked in the room , and he loves the garden - just recently now he wants to go over the walls and i am so scared he gets knocked over, he is going to be neutered in 2 weeks time, but that does not stop them as my previous cat did exactly the same and he was neutered . Thanks

Dear Anon

If you find out how, please let me know.

Posted by: Safe cat | 2009-08-21

you can buy the Pursuader from big pet shops. It' s like an electric fence, but specifically for animals. Just a bit expensive.

Here' s what I did: I bought a lot of PVC pipe and a helluva lot of shade netting. Make a lot of U shaped pieces out of the PVC. The " legs"  of the U must be about 1 meter apart. Mount these upside-down U' s against the wall (close to the top) on every pillar and cover them with a looong strip of shade netting. Its a lot of work and it doesn' t look too pretty, but the cats can be outside and safe in your yard.

The only problem with this is the fact that neighbours'  cats can jump into your yard, but they can' t get out again. However, this only happens a couple of times before they learn.

Remember to put a similar ring around the trunks of trees with branches higher than and close to the wall.

Reply to Safe cat

I don' t keep him locked in the room at all , that is the problem - my doors are always open as my dogs have access inside and out, so it is really difficult.

Posted by: Anonymous2 | 2009-08-20

Oh and you don' t need to keep him locked in a room over the weekends. Let him roam around ur house. Get him some interesting kitty toys as well.

Reply to Anonymous2
Posted by: Anonymous2 | 2009-08-20

Once ur cat goes outdoors, he will want to explore. Try not to let him out too much over the weekends. My vet says there is nothing wrong with keeping the cat indoors.

Reply to Anonymous2