Posted by: Elizabeth | 2008-11-04

We have a male cat. He is very loving, loves to be carried around, sleeps in my mom' s arms at night. Siamese x persian. He is very afraid of thunder, but rule our complex. The other cats can only come out at night when he' s inside! My mom wants a little maltese poodle. Main reason to be company for the cat, because she travels a lot and he is very traumatised if she even only goes out for the day (he' ll bite her, try to stop her from leaving). She doesn' t want another cat because he fights with them. Would it be wise to get a little dog?

Dear Elizabeth

Some cats like dogs (after a while) and some don't. Difficult to say. I would invest in a Feliway diffuser before getting a dog.

Posted by: Elizabeth | 2008-11-06

Chill. You misunderstood my comment. Sad and pathetic? NICE. My mom did NOT " make her cat emotionally dependent" . She does not think it proves how much her cat loves her! What was she supposed to do??? Be cruel to him? Not give him attention? My mom does not " overwhelm"  him all the time! She has a life, actually! He gets love and attention just like our other animals, yet they are not like that. My aunt' s siamese is exactly the same. You should not comment on things and situations you CLEARLY know nothing about!!!! My mom goes away for holidays, we always get a cat-lover to stay with him. Really, your rudeness is uncalled for, don' t you think? Besides my comment was directed at the vet, NOT you. Maybe ask some questions before just assuming things! But anyway, because of you, Chill, I will not be back on this forum!!! Go chill, Chill, before you upset more people with your ignorance!

Reply to Elizabeth
Posted by: Chill | 2008-11-04

I' d also recommend your mom cool it a bit with the cat. It' s wonderful to love your pets, but making them emotionally dependent on you does nobody any favours. Many people think this kind of thing is mighty wonderful, because they think it proves how much the pet loves them. This is not entirely true, however - mostly, it proves is that the animal only feels secure around that person, and that it hasn' t learnt that it can be ok on its own. Really, it' s a bit sad and pathetic - it' s far better and healthier for all if you loosen the bond slightly. Neither people nor animals should be overwhelmed with attention and affection all the time - it' s stifling. Besides - what if your mom wants to go on holiday? It' s really over the top to not be able to be away for the entire duration of an animal' s lifespan, don' t you think?

Reply to Chill