Question
Posted by: Olivia Briesies | 2010/07/05

Cassidy

Good day Doc,

I need some help plesae. My 5year old daughter refused to eat meat. She only eats veggies, scrambled egg, fish, chicken (but prepared with no spices), fish fingers and 2minute noodles. She weight about 15kg and always seems like she have dark spots around her eyes. I do give a scotsemulson, but I don''t know if it is enough vitamins for her. Please help, how can I improve her eating habits, and how can I get her to eat some meat.

Dear Olivia
If your lassie eats eggs, fish and chicken then she does not need to eat red meat because she should be ingesting enough iron, zinc, and protein to prevent her from developing conditions like iron-deficiency anaemia. If she is not eating milk, yoghurt, cheese, and fruits, then you need to encourage her to try these foods because cutting out milk and dairy products can exposed her to a calcium deficiency and not eating fruit could cause vitamin deficiencies (vit C, beta-carotene, etc). If she does not eat any dairy or fruit then I would recommend that you take her to a dietitian or doctor for a checkup because it is important to determine what nutrients she is deficient in. The Scots Emulsion does contain vitamins A and C, but having an excess of vitamin A can also be harmful, so please have her assessed by a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), or your gp.

2
Posted by: Olivia | 2010/07/06

Thank you so much DietDoc, I will surely do that.

Reply to Olivia

Dear Olivia