Question
Posted by: colin boruchowitz | 2012/06/09

CASONOMA IN THE ANAL GLAND

I have a Jack Russel, 7years old and was diagnosed with a carsonoma in the anal gland and it was recommended that we put him down. He however is running aruond and eats his food (la bit ess than normal). He sometimes shivers, could this be a sign of pain. He also has blood in his stool from time to time. I do not know if it could be part of his problem but his hair also falls out. What treatment would you recommend.

Hi colin

An adenocarcinoma of the anal gland is unfortunately an aggressive malignant tumour. Treatment consists of surgical removal and the removal of Lymph nodes with metastasis, radiation therapy and chemotherapy. From a veterinary point of view I am more interested in the animals quality of life and this must be taken into consideration when considering the treatment of choice. Radiation therapy is probably only conducted at OP due to the problems associated wirth radiation. Chemotherapy and surgery are the only options available. The therapy of choice will depend on the severity of the problem. You need to discuss the matter with your vet.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012/06/19

Hi colin

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Tasha | 2012/06/10

Colin B, 7 years is so young to have a problem like this, its a shame really. I always feel that as pet owners we need to do everything in our power to keep our pets pain-free and prolong their lives. I know vet fees are sometimes not affordable though.

Carcinoma is a cancerous tumour and like most cancers if caught early can be treated successfully. Imo you should find out firstly if it can be removed (it may have progressed too much) and have it removed if ok is given. Maybe even get a 2nd opinion.

Hope all goes well. Would love a follow-up here.

Reply to Tasha