Posted by: Maria | 2009-02-03

Carrot therapy

Hey CS

I found a brilliant way of dealing with feelings of aggression this morning. It involves yanking a bag of carrots out of the fridge and proceeding to throw them all over the garage. They make a satisfying thunking sound when they hit cars and garage doors and if you scream while you' re doing it, it works even better.

Oh well, jokes aside, this Cymbalta withdrawal business. On Friday I asked you about symptoms that were mainly physical. Saturday I felt great. Sunday was terrible. I was feeling aggressive, emotional, irritated and terribly tired. (Took the last Cymbalta on Friday morning, started Aropax Saturday night.) My poor husband and even worse my six year old daughter has really been suffering with me. I have no margin of tolerance for things like unexpected traffic, shorts I thought were clean that turned out to be dirty, a child whining about washing her hair...

I' m really worried about the effect my erratic behaviour has on my little girl who is already having to deal with starting big school and a hearing aid. She doesn' t need a crazy mom in her life too.

I took Alzam which helps a bit but I don' t like taking it. How long will this go on? Is what I' m experiencing bad enough to bother my psychiatrist or should I just stop being a big baby and ride it out?

ps. Even my horse will suffer as the carrots he gets today will be covered in garage dust and fluff... :) See, I can still smile about it.

Actually, though I suppose the carrots wouldn't appreciate it, that can indeed be a useful therapy --- and despite satisfying thunking souinds, not actually likely to cause real damage. I suppose cucumbers would work, too, but bananas could be messy.
Effects of Cymbalta withdrawal should not last much longer, and though Aropax is different, it belongs to the same amily of drugs, and should also help ease those symptoms as it starts to come into play.
Knowing your usual wisdom, I suppose you have already had a calm sit-down with your child, explaining that you're very irritable for a little longer, as you're changing between different medicines, but you hope you'll soon be OK again, and ask her not to take you too seriously when you get irritable right now. You're certainly not being any sort of big baby, and there's no harm in calling your psychiatrist --- he probably ought to have given you more details about what to expect and how to manage the situation.
Pleased you can still smile --- and maybe the horse will appreciate the carrots being pre-tenderized ? YOu can rinse the fluff off them. Or he may appreciate it. Discovered the new cat likes marshmallows, but she insists on spending 10 minutes killing them elaborately and chasing them under all the furniture, and then devours them only when they're fluffy and dusty.